As you may well have realized already, we are all about gun safety here at SafeGunSafes.com and so I couldn’t let this great list by the National Shooting Sports Foundation go by the wayside without bringing it to your attention. This is a great list that will get you starting in understanding the sorts of acts and actions that need to be a part of your hunting and shooting routine to help ensure that all activities are safe.
1. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction (ie, away from people)
2. Firearms should be unloaded when not actually in use
3. Don’t rely on your guns “Safety”
4. Be sure of your target and what’s beyond it
5. Use correct ammunition
6. If your gun fails to fire when the trigger is pulled, handle with care
7. Always wear eye and ear protection when shooting
8. Be sure the barrel is clear of obstructions before shooting
9. Don’t alter or modify your gun, and have guns regularly services
10. Learn the mechanical and handling characteristics of the firearm you are using.
These are all wonderful reminders of precautionary measures that should be taken any time a firearm is in your possession. One point I will add, and I believe is equally important as all of these, is that all guns should be properly cleaned and stored in a locked gun safe. No matter how careful you are while you are actively handling your gun, if not properly stored you may not be able to control who accesses your guns.